|1819: George Edgar Ohr, Sr. was born in Alsace to John George Ohr and his wife.1850: John George Ohr, along with his wife and son, immigrated to New Orleans from Germany. George Edgar Ohr, Sr. had learned the blacksmith trade in Germany.
1852: John George Ohr and his wife died in New Orleans, Louisiana.
1853: George Edgar Ohr, Sr. met and married Johanna Wiedman from Wuerttemberg, Germany in New Orleans.
1857: George Edgar Ohr, Jr. was born after his parents moved to Biloxi.
September 15, 1860: A hurricane hit sthe Mississippi Gulf Coast and destroys the Biloxi pottery studio of Joseph Fortune Meyer’s family.
1870s: The Meyer family exposed George Ohr to the pottery trade.
1878: George Ohr’s assistant, Harry Portman, was born.
1879: Joseph Fortune Meyer invited George Ohr to be an apprentice at his family’s pottery in New Orleans.
1881: L & N Railroad completed a 140-mile line that linked New Orleans to Mobile, Alabama and other southern states.
1882: Ohr returned to New Orleans and took a job at the William Virgin Pottery.
1883: Ohr went home to Biloxi and built his first pottery building, using his meager savings of $26.80 and lots of ingenuity and entrepreneurship. He then began to create his first pottery, digging his clay from the nearby Tchouttacabouffa River.
1884 – Spring 1885: Ohr took pottery to the World’s Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition in New Orleans, Louisiana. Approximately 600 pots disappeared when he hired someone to return his pottery to Biloxi. These pots have never been located.
Fall of 1885: William and Ellsworth Woodward, two brothers from Massachusetts, held free classes in New Orleans under the auspices of Tulane University, which became the Ladies Decorative Arts League.
1886: The New Orleans Art Pottery Company was formed on Baronne Street in New Orleans to glaze and fire pottery for the Ladies Decorative Arts League.
September 15, 1886: George Ohr and Josephine Gehring, also of German descent, were married in Biloxi and moved into his parents’ home on Delauney Street.
June 21, 1887: The Ohrs’ first child, Ella Louisa, was born, but died shortly after her birth.
1888: Ohr built a new two-story workshop on his father’s property. Later in 1888: George Ohr was invited by Joseph Meyer to assist him at the Ladies Art League in New Orleans.
January 18, 1889: The Ohrs’ second child, Asa Eugene, was born.
1890: Ragtime and blues were being played publicly in New Orleans.
Early 1890: The New Orleans Art Pottery facilities were taken over by the Art League Pottery Club under direction of William Woodward.
September 20, 1890: The Ohrs’ third child, Leo Ernest Ohr, was born. Beginning with the birth of this child, their children’s first names consisted of their initials.
June 1891: George Ohr began to refer to himself as an art potter, as inscribed on a ewer dated June 20, 1891.
May 1, 1892: The Ohrs’ fourth child, Clo Lucinda Ohr, was born.
June 1892: Ohr made the monumental urn, dated June, 15, 1892.
July 26, 1893: The Ohrs’ fifth child, Lio Irwin Ohr, was born.
October 21, 1893: An article in the Biloxi Herald stated that “Geo. E. Ohr, who has been ill for some time and confined to his room, is out again.”
October 1893: The devastating Chenier Caminada hurricane, also called the Great Hurricane of 1893, hit southeastern Louisiana and coastal Mississippi, with the loss of thousands of lives and property.
December 1893: The Ohrs’ second child, Asa Eugene, died.
1894: Buddy Bolden, considered the “first man of jazz,” began playing his cornet in New Orleans clubs, parks and parades.
October 12, 1894: Ohr’s pottery was destroyed in a fire that began at the Bijou Oyster Saloon. Ohr experienced total loss, but was too attached to his “burned babies” to part with them.
Late 1894 – 1895: Ohr built a small home and 5-story pagoda-style pottery called “Biloxi Art Pottery Unlimited.”
1895 – 1915: Newcomb College was the center of the Arts and Crafts movement in the United States.
September 11, 1895: Oto T. Ohr, the Ohrs’ sixth child, was born.
September 18, 1895: The Cotton States and International Exposition opened in Atlanta, Georgia. George Ohr took his assistant, Harry Portman, who he thought of as a foster son, to the fair. Portman assisted Ohr in decorating and sign painting until 1907.
1896: The Wonderful Wheel, a novel based on a character similar to George Ohr, was published by Century Books, New York.
March 18, 1896: Actor Joseph Jefferson visited Ohr’s studio and created an inscription on one of Ohr’s pots. Ohr created what we now refer to as “Jefferson Mugs” in his honor.
1896: Joseph Fortune Meyer succeeded Jules Gabry, a Frenchman, as the potter at Newcomb College.
1897: A despondent Jules Gabry, the first Newcomb potter, moved in with the Ohr family in Biloxi and committed suicide on August 18.
1897: A yellow fever epidemic broke out in Biloxi.
December 11, 1898: The Ohrs’ seventh child, Flo Lucagina Ohr, was born.
December 22, 1898: An article, “High Art in Biloxi, Miss.” appeared in a New York newspaper.
April 1899: Ohr was pictured in his studio in China, Glass and Pottery Review.
January 1900: The Exhibition of American Ceramics was held at the National Arts Club; Ohr was quoted by Keramic Studio as showing quaint pottery reminiscent of the Aztecs. The article also described Ohr as being conceited.
April 1900: Paris Exposition Universalle of 1900 opened; Ohr’s pottery was represented and he later received an order from a collector in Paris.
1900: The Ohrs’ daughter, Flo Ohr, died.
October 5, 1900: The Ohrs’ eighth child, Zio Ohr, was born..
January 1901: An Art Interchange article entitled “Biloxi Pottery” praised the pottery of George Ohr and stated that “the potter dreams of fame, not riches.”
March 1901: Sixteen pieces of Ohr pottery were shown at the Arts and Crafts Exhibition of the Providence Art Club of Rhode Island.
May 1901: The Pan-American Exposition opened in Buffalo, New York; Ohr probably did not attend but his pottery was on display.
1901: Edwin Atlee Barber’s second edition of The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States was published. Ohr’s pottery was quoted as being “in some respects, one of the most interesting in the United States . . .”
June 1901: Crockery and Glass Journal published several short articles about Ohr, as well as a letter that expressed his resentment at not being able to sell his work to one entity.
1901: Ohr begins to glaze fewer and fewer pieces of pottery.
1902: William Jervis, in the Encyclopedia of Ceramics, stated that George Ohr was saving his art to be purchased in entirety by the nation.
January 25, 1903: The Ohrs’ ninth child, Ojo Ohr, was born.
1903: Ohr renounces glazes in favor of a free-form more sculptural pottery.
July 1903: House Beautiful published “Some Recent Arts and Crafts Work” by Isabel McDougal; she described Ohr’s home as being filled with “monkey jars.”
1904: The Ohrs’ son, Zio Ohr, died.
April 30, 1904: The Louisiana Purchase International Exposition opened in St. Louis. Missouri. Ohr’s work was displayed in the Mines and Metallugy Building. More emphasis was placed on individual artists rather than pottery firms and Ohr was awarded a silver medal.
1904 – 1917: New Orleans jazz artist Jelly Roll Morton, influenced musically by Buddy Bolden, toured the southern United States as a pianist and vaudeville comedian, making several stops on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
December 1905: Ohr’s mother, Johanna Wiedman Ohr, died. Ohr’s parents’ land was willed to his wife Josephine and his surviving siblings, August, Emma and Louise.
1905 – 1907: Ohr experimented with different types of clay with which he continued to create his unique bisque pottery.
1906: George and Josephine became involved in a dispute with George’s siblings over his siblings’ desire to sell the family land. The dispute continued for years.
August 8, 1906: The Ohrs’ tenth child, Geo Ohr, was born.
September 1906: A hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 145 miles per hour hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast with loss of 134 lives.
1906: Ohr sent 50 pieces of pottery to the Delgado Art Museum in New Orleans. Because only 12 pieces were selected for exhibition, Ohr demanded that the museum return all the pottery.
June 1907: Della McLeod’s article for the Memphis Commercial Appeal stated Ohr’s claim that his greatness should be attributed to the originality of his shapes and that his beautiful glazes are merely the result of accidents.
April 3, 1909: Due to his anger over the ongoing land dispute, George Ohr faced a lunacy hearing and was determined to be sane.
September 6, 1909: Ohr was arrested for protesting the sale of his parents’ land at auction.
Fall 1909: George Ohr was jailed for a dispute over a drainage project.
April 1910: George Ohr still quoted his occupation as “art potter with own shop” for the census.
1910: Ohr’s last pot was created. George closed his pottery studio. His sons re-opened it as the “Ohr Boys Auto Repairing Shop.” Ohr was quoted as being ill with catarrhal fever (chronic inflammation of the air passages).
December 12, 1914: The Ohr’s son, Lio Ohr, died.
1915: The Deer Island Improvement Company opened a successful amusement park on Deer Island in the Mississippi Sound. Visitors were transported to the island by ferry and property was sold for cottages and camps.
October 1915: A hurricane with winds of 130 miles per hour pounded southeastern Louisiana and coastal Mississippi; 279 lives were lost. The amusement park on Deer Island was totally destroyed.
July 1916: A hurricane with 120 miles per hour winds killed 34 people on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
1916: Joseph Fortune Meyer and his wife bought a lot on Deer Island in Mississippi Sound from the Deer Island Improvement Company, where they escaped New Orleans city life to make pottery, observe nature and enjoy the serene island life. It is rumored that George Ohr rowed a boat out to visit the Meyers on the Island.
December 1917: Ohr went to Chicago to confirm a prior throat cancer diagnosis by a New Orleans doctor.
April 7, 1918: George Ohr died at 3:10 AM on a Sunday morning.
Summer 1918: Former Newcomb ceramics professor Paul Cox, who had taken a river trip with Ohr and Meyer circa 1910, “assists the Andersons” in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
October 1, 1922: Lyle Saxon writes extensively of Ohr’s pottery cache in New Orleans’ The Times-Picayune, and of Josephine Ohr’s attempt to sell the pottery at her house on Delauney Street in Biloxi.
July 25, 1925 -July 26, 1926: Dr. Calvin Brown of the Anthropology Department at University of Mississippi and Josephine Ohr correspond about the Ohr legacy.
1961: Jim Carpenter purchased an Ohr puzzle mug at an antiques shop in Port Jervis, New York, unaware at the time of the treasure he found.
1962: Robert Blasberg began serious exploration of the art pottery movement nationwide.
1965: The first Gulf Coast Ceramics Exhibition, at Edgewater Mall in Biloxi was organized by Delores (“Bobby”) Davidson Smith. The Ohr family loaned 150 pots for the show.
1966 – 1969: Robert Blasberg and Bobby Davidson Smith corresponded about Ohr pottery.
1967: Robert Blasberg and Paul Cox, then 88 years of age, corresponded.
October 6, 7 & 8, 1967: The Second Gulf Coast Ceramics Exhibition was held at Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, where George Ohr’s pottery was again shown to the public.
1967: This was perhaps Jim Carpenter’s and his wife Miriam’s first visit to Biloxi. They did not attend the Gulf Coast Ceramics Exhibition.
1969: Jim Carpenter met Geo, Ojo and Leo Ohr and Geo’s wife Iola.
Winter 1970: Jim Carpenter began negotiations with the Ohr family about George Ohr’s pottery.
1972: Jim and Miriam (“Mim”) Carpenter purchased approximately 7,000 Ohr pots from Ojo Ohr.
May 1972: Ralph and Terry Kovel published their first article about George Ohr in The Western Collector.
1973: The original George Ohr and His Biloxi Art Pottery by Robert W. Blasberg was published by James W. Carpenter.
1973: George Ohr’s pots began to appear in shops in the New York area.
January 1974: George Ohr pottery purchased from Jim Carpenter by Ralph and Terry Kovel was pictured in The Kovels’ Collector’s Guide to American Art Pottery
July 24, 1986: The Ohrs’ son Ojo J. Ohr died.
1986: The Unknown Ohr by Robert W. Blasberg was published.
1989: The Mad Potter of Biloxi: The Art and Life of George E. Ohr by Garth Clark, Robert A. Ellison, Jr. and Eugene Hecht was published.
1989: The Mississippi Museum of Art placed 12 pieces of Ohr pottery in the new satellite branch in Biloxi.
November 29, 1989: The Ohrs’ daughter Clo L. Ohr died.
1992: The Mad Potter of Biloxi documentary premiered on Mississippi ETV.
1994: The Mississippi Museum of Art satellite museum closed. The Biloxi-based George E. Ohr Arts and Cultural Center opened in the same location.
1994: After the Fire – George Ohr: An American Genius by Eugene Hecht, PhD was published.
1998: The family of Jeremiah O’Keefe donated $1 million to the museum in memory of Annette Rose O‘Keefe. Architect Frank Gehry agreed to design the new museum.
|Compiled by Curator of Collections, Barbara Ross|